Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Birth of U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizen Nationals Abroad

If you are a U.S. citizen (or non-citizen national) and have a child overseas, you should report their birth at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate as soon as possible so that a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) can be issued as an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship or nationality.

CRBAs are issued to both U.S. citizens and non-citizen nationals. A CRBA is not intended to serve as proof of the identity of the child’s legal parents. Therefore, in general, the name or names listed on the CRBA are the U.S. national’s parent(s) and have a biological connection to the child. A second parent may be listed on the CRBA if the second parent demonstrates a legal parental relationship to the child under local law. The CRBA does not, however, serve as a record of that individual’s status.

For instructions on how to apply for a CRBA, please check the webpage for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where your child was born and navigate to the American Citizens Service section.