Replace Lost or Stolen US Passport – Eligibility Requirements
For individuals who:
- have a valid lost passport; or
- passport was issued less than 10 years ago
Essentially, what you are doing, is replacing and reporting a valid lost passport or stolen passport – with a new,
II. Proof of Identification
Either a current and valid driver’s license with photo, good for the past year, or a state I D with photo, good for at least one year, going backward, is required to prove your identity. Bring a photocopy of the front and back of your driver’s license or state identification to the Acceptance Agent office. If you have neither, you will have to resort to Supplemental Identification, and you can view the list of supplemental IDs.
IV. Passport Application Form
Complete DS-11 Form.
This form must be completed online, generating a government required 2D Barcode, and printed on two pages (not back to back), and signed by the applicant before Acceptance Agent. The passport office will not accept handwritten DS-11 applications. When you print out the DS 11 you only have to print out pages 5 and 6 (twice) and not the first four pages of instructions.
Print 2 copies of your typed DS-11 form; One copy must be executed and endorsed by the Acceptance Agent (AA) and Sealed in a Government Envelope; and the other copy is clipped to the Outside of the Sealed Government Envelope. If the applicant has lost a valid passport, please also complete DS-64 Form.
Important: Passport application forms must be sealed INSIDE the government envelope by the Acceptance Agent.
See Section 10 below for reference.
Example of 2D Barcode on Form
Hand-written DS-11 forms are not accepted. Do not print double-sided forms.
IMPORTANT: Match the departure date on the DS-11 with the departure date on the travel itinerary or travel evidence.
V. DS-64 Form – Report Lost or Stolen Passport
The applicant must complete a DS-64 form to report a lost or stolen passport, and explain how, when, where it got lost and what you did to recover it. If you run out of room on the DS-64, you can use an extra piece of paper to explain.
VI. Authorization Letter
Complete two (2) Letters of Authorization with original signatures.
IMPORTANT: The Letter of Authorization must be signed by the applicant and in black ink. One will go inside the Government envelope and the other in the FedEX shipping envelope. The courier company name is required by the government and should be written in pen on the blank line above where you sign your name at the bottom.
VII. Proof of Departure
Computer generated flight itinerary from the airline or a travel agency, copy of airline ticket or a corporate letter for business travel. Proof of departure must be within 2 weeks, unless you need a visa and then proof of departure can be within 4 weeks. One copy of the proof of departure should be attached to the outside of the sealed envelope and inside the FedEx envelope.
VIII. Condition of Passport
IMPORTANT: If the applicant is submitting a damaged passport for replacement, a signed statement to the US Department of State must be included explaining the condition of the passport.
IX. US Government Fees
Adults: $170.00 payment in the form of a personal check (starter checks are not accepted) or money order made out to the US Department of State the check is included with the DS11 form inside the Sealed Envelope. Print applicant’s name and birth date on the check or money order. A $35.00 payment is made to the Post Office or the Clerk of Court.
X. Call to Reserve a Courier, make Payment and receive Shipping Address
Call (800) 238-6662 to Reserve your Courier Appointment at the Passport Agency for your Application.
Payment To Legal Passport by credit/debit card only.
Please provide your credit card to reserve a courier time slot with the US Passport Agency – this is nonrefundable, the Passport Agency has limited reservations. Payment is required to secure your reservation. This will guarantee your reservation with the US Passport Agency and expedited service. Note: The US Passport Agency determines eligibility to receive a passport based on proof of citizenship and compliance with instructions provided.
How fast do you need your US Passport? 24 hours?
|$375||Emergency: 1 day + shipping *|
|$350||Urgent: 2 days + shipping *|
|$250||Rush: 3 to 6 days + shipping *|
|$175||Regular: 7 + days + shipping *|
|$40.00||* Return FedEx Shipping.|
State Department and Government fees not included.
XI. Visit an Acceptance Agent
What happens at the AA office?
The Acceptance Agent will:
- Have you sign and then countersign and stamp the DS-11 application form.
- Record information from your driver’s license and attach photo to DS-11.
- Insert Letter of Authorization and $170 check (starter checks are not accepted) in Government Envelope.
- Insert copy of flight itinerary or business letter in Government Envelope.
- The Acceptance Agent will hand the Envelope to you, once you inform the AA you are using Legal Passport, a courier service, for the ‘HandCarry.’
- You overnight FedEx the Sealed Envelope and photocopies to Legal Passport (see below).
- The HandCarry rule is in the AA’s rulebook and they can refer to that if they are unfamiliar with the rule.
XII. Items Inside the Sealed Government Envelope
The original documents are inside the SEALED GOVERNMENT ENVELOPE. The certified birth certificate and/or old passport will be returned with the new passport.
Sealed envelope documents include the following:
- DS-11 Passport Application signed and completed with a 2D Bar Code.
- Completed and signed DS-64 form.
- Photocopy of the front and back of driver’s license.
- Certified Birth Certificate or naturalization certificate or old passport.
- One Client Letter of Authorization filled out and signed.
- Travel itinerary or company letter.
- One (1) photo.
- Check (starter checks are not accepted) or money order made payable to: US Department Of State for $170.00.
Print applicant’s name and birth date on check.
- The envelope’s STAMPED SEAL must not be tampered with or broken or the application is VOID and you will have to start all over again.
DO NOT include the copies or payment to Legal Passport INSIDE the sealed envelope. Keep the copies separate from the AA who seals the envelope.
The copies of the Letter of Authorization, Itinerary, and DS-11 copies may be paper-clipped to the OUTSIDE of the SEALED Government Envelope. In any case, those copies must be in the FedEx envelope for Legal Passport.
XIII. Fedex Ship your Sealed Envelope to the Passport Courier.
Final checklist of what you need to Overnight FedEx:
- Sealed Envelope for the U.S. Passport Service.
- 2nd Copy of unsigned DS-11 with bar code on top left margin.
- 2nd Copy of Travel Evidence.
- 2nd Copy of Letter of Authorization.
IMPORTANT: Note: Please use the properly sized FedEx envelope, or FedEx box, to Safely and Securely Ship your Sealed Government Envelope + 3 copies.
Call (800) 238-6662 for shipping address to Legal Passport courier and for shipping instructions for FedEx. DO NOT USE USPS or UPS.
You are required to report tracking number when you ship.