New Child Passport – Eligibility Requirements
For Urgent or Emergency Passport Service, please call Legal Passport at (800) 238 6662 to Reserve Your 24-Hour/Same-Day Passport Appointment in the Passport Agency.
All US Passport Agencies are closed by the US State Department on March 20,2020 – until further notice.
We are hoping the Passport Agencies are going to reopen on April 1, or shortly thereafter, and you can contact us then. Thank you.
For children, under the age of 16 who:
- never had a passport; or
- lost a valid passport; or
- whose passport has expired; or
- who has a damaged passport.
I. Proof of Citizenship
- Certified Birth Certificate with Raised Seal
- Old Passport
- Use Both the Expired Passport and the Birth Certificate when you have both.
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Certificate of Citizenship
III. Establish Parental Relationship, with the following:
- Both parents’ Valid Driver’s License with photo or passport.
Children 14 or 15 may present one of the following:
- Child’s ID (Driver’s learner permit if available).
- Student ID with picture.
- Other State Department approved identification.
IV. Parents must have the child’s Social Security Number
The Social Security Number of the child should be provided by the parent/s, or proof that an application has been made for the child. A social security card is NOT required, but the social security number is. Parents of new born babies who don’t have the Social Security Number, can just write in zeroes in the social security data field of the DS11 application.
V. Gather and checklist the following documents
- Certified Birth Certificate required and/ or an old child passport
- A valid driver’s license for each parent.
- Two (2) copies of U S. Government form: DS11 Passport Application with 2D barcode (on top left margin of the form).
- Two (2) copies of the airline itinerary or proof of departure.
- One (1) passport photo.
- Two (2) Client’s Letter of Authorization. (Signed in black or blue ink, by both parents when available, with the child’s name inserted).
- U.S. Government Fee. $140 Check (starter checks are not accepted) or Money Order made out to the US Department of State – Print the child’s name and birth date on the check.
VI. Passport Application Form
This form must be completed online and printed on two pages (not back to back), and signed by the parent’s of the child, and by the child (if old enough to sign) before Acceptance Agent. The passport office will not accept handwritten DS11 applications.
Print 2 copies of your typed DS11 form; One copy must be executed and endorsed by the Acceptance Agent (AA) and Sealed in a Government Envelope; and the other copy is clipped to the Outside of the Sealed Government Envelope. If the applicant has lost a valid passport, please also complete DS64 Form. When you print out the DS 11 you only have to print out pages 5 and 6 (twice) and not the first four pages of instructions.
IMPORTANT: Government forms must be sealed INSIDE the envelope.
See Section 7 below for reference.
Example of 2D Barcode on Form
IMPORTANT: Match the departure date on the DS11 with the departure date on the travel itinerary or travel evidence.
VII. Authorization Letter
Complete two (2) Letters of Authorization with original signatures.
IMPORTANT: The Letter of Authorization must be signed by the parent of the child applicant and the name of the child must be inserted onto the LOA.
The courier company name should be written in pen in the blank line above where you sign your name in black or blue ink at the bottom. Both parents must sign the LOA when available.
VIII. Proof of Departure
Computer generated flight itinerary from the airline or a travel agency, copy of airline ticket or a corporate letter for business travel. Proof of departure must be within 2 weeks, unless you need a visa and then proof of departure can be within 4 weeks. One copy of the proof of departure should be attached to the outside of the sealed envelope and inside the FedEx envelope.
IX. US Government Fees
Children: $140.00 payment in the form of a personal check (starter checks are not accepted) or money order made out to the US Department of State the check is included with the DS11 form inside the Sealed Envelope. Print child applicant’s name and birth date on the check or money order. A $35.00 payment is made to the Post Office or the Clerk of Court.
X. Call to Reserve a Courier, make Payment and receive Shipping Address
Call (800) 238-6662 to Reserve your Courier Appointment at the Passport Agency for your Child’s Application.
Payment To Legal Passport by credit/debit card only.
Please provide your credit card to reserve a courier time slot with the US Passport Agency – this is nonrefundable, the Passport Agency has limited reservations. Payment is required to secure your reservation. This will guarantee your reservation with the US Passport Agency and expedited service. Note: The US Passport Agency determines eligibility to receive a passport based on proof of citizenship and compliance with instructions provided.
How fast do you need your US Passport? 24 hours?
|$375||Emergency: 1 day + shipping *|
|$350||Urgent: 2 days + shipping *|
|$250||Rush: 3 to 6 days + shipping *|
|$175||Regular: 7 + days + shipping *|
|$40.00||* Return FedEx Shipping.|
State Department and Government fees not included.
XI. Visit an Acceptance Agent
Both parents must visit the Acceptance Agent (AA).
The AA will assist when you sign the DS-11 Passport Application at the designated AA office – at a post office or courthouse.
First, check here to find the nearest Acceptance Agent to you, either at a post office, a courthouse or library.
IMPORTANT: (You can’t renew an expired child’s passport – but you can use the expired child passport to prove citizenship).
- Use Both the Expired Passport and the Birth Certificate when you have both.
If one parent is not available, then:
Parent who can not be present can complete DS3053: Statement of Consent: Issuing a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16 in front of a notary.
If the parent is deceased a Certified Death Certificate can be submitted.
In case of divorce, a parent can submit Certified Divorce Papers, which gives them full custody.
What happens at the AA office?
The Acceptance Agent will:
- Have you sign and then countersign and stamp the DS-11 application form.
- Record information from your driver’s license and attach child photo to DS-11.
- Insert Certified Birth Certificate or expired passport.
- Insert Letter of Authorization and $140 check (starter checks are not accepted) in Government Envelope.
- Insert copy of flight itinerary or business letter in Government Envelope.
- The Acceptance Agent will hand the Envelope to you, once you inform the AA you are using Legal Passport, a courier service, for the ‘HandCarry.’
- The HandCarry rule is in the AA’s rulebook and they can refer to that if they are unfamiliar with the rule.
- You overnight the Sealed Envelope and photocopies to Legal Passport (see section XIII below).
XII. Checklist of items Inside the Sealed Government Envelope:
The original documents are inside the SEALED GOVERNMENT ENVELOPE. The certified birth certificate and/or old passport will be returned with the new passport.
DO NOT include the copies or payment to Legal Passport INSIDE the sealed envelope. Keep the copies separate from the AA who seals the envelope. These copies will go into the FedEx envelope.
- DS-11 Passport Application signed and completed with a 2D Bar Code.
- Certified Birth Certificate or naturalization certificate or old passport.
- Photocopy of the front and back of each of the parent’s driver’s license or state I D or foreign passport.
- One Client Letter of Authorization filled out with child’s name and signed by both parents.
- Travel itinerary or company letter.
- One (1) photo.
- Check (starter checks are not accepted) or money order made payable to: US Department Of State for $140.00.
Print child’s name and birthdate on check.
- The envelope’s STAMPED SEAL must not be tampered with or broken or the application is VOID and you will have to start all over again.
The copies for the Letter of Authorization, the Itinerary, and the bar-coded but unsigned DS 11 may be paper-clipped to the OUTSIDE of the SEALED Application Form Envelope. In any case, they must be included in the FedEx envelope. (see section 13 for reference).
XIII. Fedex Ship your Sealed Envelope to the Passport Courier
Final checklist of what you need to Overnight FedEx:
- Sealed Envelope for the U.S. Passport Service.
- 2nd Copy of unsigned DS 11 with bar code on top left margin.
- 2nd Copy of Travel Evidence.
- 2nd Copy of Letter of Authorization.
IMPORTANT: Please use the properly sized FedEx envelope, or FedEx box, to Safely and Securely Ship your Sealed Government Envelope + 3 copies.
Call (800) 238-6662 for shipping address to Legal Passport courier and for shipping instructions for FedEx. DO NOT USE USPS or UPS.
You are required to report tracking number when you ship.